Curatr users can be assigned to groups to simplify managing many users at once. Groups can be used to enrol members to a course, to quickly set recipients for email and for users to be added to groups automatically based on their tags.
Creating a group
To create a new group navigate to the Groups area.
Admin Area > Groups
- Click on NEW GROUP.
- Give the group an informative name, this will be used throughout the admin area.
- Optionally give the group a description.
- Select if a group is Public or Private. A public group will be given as a filtering option on comments or as an option for users to join when creating a new account if Public Registration is enabled for the organisation.
- Click on Submit.
When a group is edited there are two extra options for Tags.
The first Tags field is used to attach a tag to the group. These are used for filtering the groups displayed in a group report in the course section. You can share tags across similar groups to view combined reports and add unique tags to groups you want to pick out individually.
The second Include users tagged lets you specify tags that will automatically add any user with a matching tag. Any user who gains this tag will be added to the group, if the tag is removed from the group or user they will be removed.
More details on how to add tags can be found here.
Tip: To prevent tagged users being removed from a group their membership can be made permanent. To prevent tagged users being added to a group they can be blacklisted, see below for details.
Users can be added to a group in two ways; manually in the Add Users tab or automatically by their group tags, see above for more information on tags.
To manually add users,
Admin Area > Groups > Your Group
- Select Add Users from the menu on the left hand side of the screen.
- Click the checkbox next to the user(s) you wish to add.
- Click ADD USERS below the table.
The Members section contains a list of group members and actions that can be used to manage them.
Admin Area > Groups > Your Group
- Name: First name and last name.
- Email: Email address.
- Username: Curatr username.
- Joined: Date they joined the group.
- User type: Users marked as Permanent were added manually or upgraded and will not be automatically removed. Tagged were automatically added by group tags and may be automatically removed in the future if those tags are removed.
Remove user from group.
Blacklists a user, removing them from the group and preventing them being added automatically by tags.
Upgrade a user to be permanent type and not be automatically removed by tags.
The Blacklisted section contains users who have been removed from the group with the Thumbs Down action. These users will not automatically be added as members by tags. A user can be restored as a member by clicking the thumbs up action.
Users can be assigned to a Group Admin or Group Tutor role. More details on group roles can be found here.
This shows the names of any course the group has been linked to, the course alias, the number of group members enrolled and the linked options. These options are adjusted from inside each course.
Details on linked group options can be found here.
If you already have a set of known users without Curatr accounts you can import their information to both create them a Curatr account and add them to the group. For more details click here.