It's worth noting that if you attempt to test the course as a user with admin permissions then you won't be seeing the course and having the same experience, as a real end user would.
- Time locked courses would allow you to progress through them without the time locking coming into play.
- Linear-courses would behave as non-linear courses allowing you to progress in any order.
If you want to test the end-user experience we advise using a Test User to undertake the course yourself or asking a friend or colleague.
Testing it yourself
Create a Test User for one of your other email addresses, in the same way that you would create any other user. You can then use a Private Browsing tab in your internet browser to log in to your course with the Test User without having to log in and out of accounts to make changes.
The advantage to this approach is that it is quick and you're not reliant on anybody else, however as you designed the course you'll have an inherent knowledge of the platform and the structure, so you're not really getting a typical end users perspective.
Asking a friend or colleague
Admin Area > Courses > Your Course > Enrollments
- Enrol the friend/colleague onto the relevant course.
- Ask them to log in.
- Ask them to progress through the course making notes along the way, although it's often more valuable for you to sit alongside them and observe their progress.
- Make any changes.
Once you have made a test run as a user through your course, it is advisable to reset any progress that your Test User(s) have made in order to have a clean leaderboard for when the course actually commences.
Tip: You may also find it useful to do this whilst testing is taking place, should you have to make any significant changes during the testing and then retest any elements of the course.
Reseting User Progress
Warning: Resetting a User's progress will reset comments, replies, votes, UGC contributions, XPs, level progress and object views. With no way to restore these pieces of data, make sure you are sure a user's progress should be reset before you do so.
In order to reset a User's progress:
- Click on View All located under the Enrolments button.
- Search for your Test User in the search box in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- Tick the box on the left side of the row for all of the users that you wish to reset the progress of.
- Click on the Reset button at the bottom of the user list table.