Curatr offers a number of different types of access for users and administrators. Depending on the functions someone needs to fulfill within the platform, it may be appropriate to set a user up with multiple types of access. Read on below for detailed descriptions of what sort of access can be configured into Curatr.
These roles can be accessed at Org level.
An Organisation Admin inherits all rights (and therefore should be granted with care!).
An Organisation Tutor can view progress and moderate every course in an Organisation, but cannot edit or manage course content.
A User Manager can Create, Edit and Delete Users.
A Course Creator can Create Courses.
A Group Creator can Create, Edit and Delete Courses.
A Badge Manager can Create, Edit and Delete Badges.
A Tag Manager can can Create, Edit and Delete Tags.
A Resource Admin can Create, Edit and Delete Resources.
These roles can be accessed at Course level.
A Course Admin will not be able to administrate courses for which they are not listed as a ‘Course Admin’.
A Course Tutor can view progress and moderate contributions for a given course, but cannot edit or manage course content.
Note: Course Tutor's comments in a course are highlighted to distinguish them from other learners comments.
A Group Admin can administrate a given group of users across courses (enrolling them to courses en masse for example).
A Group Tutor can view progress and moderate contributions for a given group across courses.
Each individual user permission can also be modified with a set of Advanced User Permissions that will add some additional privileges.
Note, these settings won’t affect Org Admins; they have rights to do all this by default.
The most common use of these additional settings is to grant Course Administrators the Course Creator permission. This will allow that user to create new Courses and then to administrate them (as well as to administrate courses they have been given permission for). Otherwise Org Admins will need to create all new courses.
Without devolving Theme or Badge editing rights, only Org Admins will be able to Create/Edit/Delete these elements. The same can be said for Tag and Group creation. Whilst you may wish to devolve these rights, best practice use of these elements will mean a level of centralised control.
Changing User Roles
Admin Area > Groups > Your Group
Once you are in the Group's dashboard:
- Select Roles
- Search for the user you wish to modify in the search box in the upper right hand corner of the window that has appeared
- Modify their role by checking/unchecking the relevant boxes - i.e. Group Admin, Group Tutor etc.
Admin Area > Courses > Your Course
If you'd like to assign/change the roles within a specific course, select the course from the Courses Dashboard and then:
- Select Roles from the menu on the left hand side of the screen.
- Search for the user you wish to modify in the search box located on the upper right-hand corner of the Roles homepage.
- Modify their role by selecting/unselecting the relevant boxes (i.e. Course Admin or Course Tutor).
Admin Area > Users > Your User
If you'd like to assign/change the roles within your entire Curatr Organisation you should:
- Click on Users in the top menu bar. A list of all of your users will then appear.
- Search for the user whose role you wish to modify by using the search box in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- After you have located the user, click either the eye (User Information) or pencil (Edit User) icons next to their name (it doesn't matter which you click, as they will both allow you to undertake the next steps).
- Once you are in the user details, click on the Roles tab.
- You will now be taken to a screen containing information/options relating to that specific user. On this screen you can now see a row of check-boxes that relate to the various roles available in Curatr. You can now select/unselect the boxes and roles as appropriate.