Within the admin area of Stream, administrators can select some organisation defaults for comments, experience point allocations and leaderboard privacy in courses.
Note: Any organisation level setting around comments, view times and point allocations can overridden for each course and object level.
Assigning XP Values
Admin Area > Settings
Within this area of Stream, you are given the opportunity to set the Experience Points users are awarded when they View, Comment or Contribute on an object.
For more details on experience points click here.
A Stream best practice is to correlate points with effort. The more effort that is required in a task, the more points should be awarded.
For example, here are some good guidelines to follow when assigning point values to an end user task:
- Viewing - Which doesn't take much effort compared to the other point-awarding activities = 1 point.
- Commenting - which takes more effort as they usually have to view the object, read the question, formulate an answer, type and the answer = 5 points.
- Contributing - which usually takes the most effort as they have to read the challenge, create a document, curate and example, record a video, upload/link to it, provide a rationale for their submission = 10 points.
- You can also set the View Time on an object. This is the benchmark time a user has to be looking at an object to be awarded any points. It is best to leave this setting as the default of 10 seconds, as each object will probably need a different amount of view time
By taking some time to think about these Default Game Settings early in your time working in Stream, you can save considerable time down the road, as these settings will automatically be transferred to any newly created courses.
Tip - If any settings aren't quite right for future content created in Stream, you can override the default settings at the course/object level.
Leaderboard Opt Out
Admin Area > Settings
If you would like to give users the chance to Opt Out of appearing in the leaderboards of your Stream courses, check Leaderboard Opt Out.
If checked, you can choose one of the following customisations on how users are displayed:
- Hidden: If a user opts out in this case, they will be totally hidden from course leaderboards and no other user will be able to review any elements of their score.
- Anonymous: When selected, this configuration will display users in a course leaderboard, and will show all progress they have made within a course. However, Anonymous will be displayed instead of their name for the entry on the leaderboard
Note: Leaderboard Opt Out cannot be overridden per course. If this option is selected, all of your users will be hidden from the leaderboards within courses, unless they explicitly wish to opt-in. This opt-in is done on a user by user basis, from their individual profile settings.