In all course types, Curatr allows you to create an End of Level Gate - a chance to test your users after they have completed a level. In this article, read the steps for creating a gate - or view the screencast at the bottom of the screen to gain this information.
Each type of End of Level Gate is meant to prompt a user to reflect on the content they've just viewed/read/absorbed from the level they just finished.
The types of gates available to add at the end of a level are:
- Discussion Gate - usually provides an open ended question to users and gives them a free text field to enter a responses.
- Contribution Gate - provides users the opportunity to demonstrate knowledge they've just learned from the course. In this scenario, usually an administrator creates a prompt in which they suggest what sort of contribution course users should make to complete the gate (a written response, a video, etc.). It is then the responsibility of the user to make the needed contribution and finish the gate.
- Multiple Choice Gate - gives administrators the chance to place multiple choice questions at the end of a level.
- Unmarked Questions - This option is similar to the Discussion Gate. However, we recommend choosing this if you would like to provide multiple open ended questions to an end user.
Creating a Gate
Admin Area > Courses > Your Course > Manage Content > Your Level
To create any of the gates outlined above, you should:
- Click NEW GATE
- In the panel that appears on the right hand side of the screen, enter a Name for your gate.
- Enter a Description
- Choose your Gate Type
- Click SAVE once the gate is ready to go live within your course.
TIP: You'll want to keep the below in mind for each gate type when you are setting them up.
- Discussion Gate - enter a question that will be answered by your Curatr users.
- Contribution Gate - enter an instruction to your users about what content you'd like them to post in the gate.
- Multiple Choice Gate - choose the percentage of questions a user needs to get right to successfully complete the gate. This number can be anywhere from 1-100%. Once chosen, click CREATE QUESTIONS to enter all of the questions to be answered within the gate.
- For Unmarked Questions Gate, click CREATE QUESTION and enter all of the questions you'd like included in the gate.
Creating A Level Gate Screencast
To learn more about the information outlined above, we recommend viewing this screencast. The screencast gives you an opportunity to learn more about what an end of level gate is in Curatr, as well as best practices for using them in your courses.