Curatr offers the ability to sell courses and track sales directly through the platform. In this article, you'll learn more about how to set up E-Commerce as well as how to configure settings according to your business needs.
The steps needed to sell a Curatr course are:
- Enable the E-Commerce service.
- Configure a payment method.
- Create a product from your course.
- Create vouchers/discount codes if desired.
Note: Curatr supports card payments using Stripe as it's payment processor. Stripe accepts Visa, MasterCard and American Express credit and debit cards.
Enabling E-Commerce on Curatr
If you would like to set-up the ability to sell access to courses within Curatr, you'll need to enable the E-Commerce service.
To enable the E-commerce service:
Admin Area > Settings > Services
- Click on E-Commerce.
- Place a check in the Enabled box.
- Enable VAT collection (if applicable) or the local equivalent tax for your region of the world.
- Enter a VAT api key (if applicable) or the local equivalent tax for your region of the world.
- Enable discounts if you plan to offer them. You can always activate this at a later date if you wish.
- Enter the Default Currency code. For a list click here.
- Click Save.
You have now enabled E-Commerce within your Curatr site. Moving forward, you will now see an E-Commerce option at the bottom of the left-hand Organisation Settings menu.
Creating a Payment Method
Once E-Commerce is enabled the method(s) used to pay for courses must be configured. You have three options available to you for payment methods:
- Voucher payment only
- Payment Gateway (allowing people to pay using debit/credit cards) only.
- Both of the above.
Admin Area > Settings > E-Commerce > Payment Methods
If you are looking to add either a voucher payment or a payment gateway:
- Tick the Vouchers Enabled checkbox if you wish to enable payment using Vouchers.
- Click Save to save the Voucher payment option.
- Tick the Stripe Enabled checkbox to enable the payment via Stripe.
- Enter the API keys that will have been provided by Stripe. (Stripe provides four keys, the keys to use on a live instance is your secret key which starts with sk_live_ and your public key which starts pk_live_. During setup and testing you can use the key starting with sk_test_ and pk_test_; don't forget to change this when you are ready to start taking payments.)
- Click Save
Creating a Product
Courses are not sold directly but through a "product" containing a summary of the course details and it's price. The product does not have to use the same name, image or description as the course.
Warning: For a course to be publicly discoverable and purchasable the course must be set to Public and to Allow Self Enrolment. If a course is Secret it can only be found by directly visiting the course or product URL. If a course does not Allow Self Enrolment it can only be purchased by directly visiting the product URL.
In order to create a new product:
Admin Area > Settings > E-Commerce > Products
- Click +ADD PRODUCT towards the top-right.
- Select the Course that you wish to assign to the Product by using the drop-down menu to navigate to the course. Selecting the Populate with Course details link will pull in some additional info for you to save you re-typing/selecting it.
- Fill or adjust the Name, Image and Description fields. These details are shown to to the user when purchasing.
- Assign a Price to your product. This is the cost that people will pay to gain access to your course.
- Change the Currency type if desired. By default this will contain the Default Currency code specified earlier in the E-Commerce service.
- Enter any Product Reference that you wish to relate to this Product. This field is for your internal use.
- Enter any Provider Reference that you wish to relate to this Product. This field is for your internal use.
- Check the Live box to make this Product accessible immediately.
- Click Submit.
Once you have clicked Submit, your newly created Product will appear in the Products table.
Warning: A product must be Live to be visible to users.
Creating A Discount Code
Curatr lets you create discount codes, that can be applied by a customer during the payment process to reduce the cost of a product. Discount codes can have an expiry date and quantity to limit their use.
Admin Area > Settings > E-Commerce > Discounts
- Click +ADD DISCOUNT CODE towards the top-right.
- Give the discount a Name i.e. Winter Saver 2015.
- Provide a Description of the discount, i.e. when the discount is valid for.
- Enter the exact Code that people will enter when paying for a course, i.e. "Winter15".
- Check the Live box to activate the codes as soon as the discount code is created.
- Determine whether you wish to provide a Percentage Discount (50% off) or a Value Discount ($5 off).
- Enter the Quantity of discounts you wish to offer (i.e. how many times can this code be used?).
- If you wish for a discount to start at a certain date, enter a Valid From date.
- If you wish for the discount to expire by a certain date, enter a Valid Until expiration date.
- By using the drop-down menu in the Products field you can select which Product(s) you want this Discount to work for. Once you have selected the product, click the + button next to the menu. If you wish apply the Discount to multiple Products, repeat this step for each product.
- Click Submit.
Once you have clicked Submit, your newly created Discount will appear on the Discounts list.
Creating a Voucher
A Voucher is a code that allows a customer of your organisation to purchase any Curatr product with a value less than or equal to the amount available in the voucher.
A typical use case might be that a business wants to purchase one of your courses and offer it to all of their staff. They could purchase a number of Vouchers from you (for the value of the course) and then disseminate one of the Vouchers to each member of staff. At that point the member of staff could then 'purchase' the course, but instead of paying for the course using a debit/credit card, they would enter the voucher code.
In order to add a new voucher:
Admin Area > Settings > E-Commerce > Vouchers
- Click +ADD NEW VOUCHERS.
- Add a Prefix for each voucher i.e. HT2.
- Enter the name of the organisation the voucher was Created For, this is optional and for your reference.
- Enter the Number of Vouchers you wish to make available.
- Enter the Value you would like to assign to each voucher (this is used for all vouchers you are creating under this entry).
- Enter the Cost a user would pay for each voucher. This is optional and for your reference. This field can be especially useful if you are running any sort of promotion. For example, if you want to give a user £50 in credit but only make them pay £35 for it, enter the number '35' in this field.
- Adjust the Currency code if required. A voucher can only be used with a product of matching currency type.
- Click Submit
Note: As you are completing the Value / Cost fields, a calculation will appear at the bottom of the screen for you.
Once you have clicked Submit, a pop-up will appear containing the Voucher codes. This is a good time to copy and paste these codes into a text document, so you have them ready to forward onto users when needed.
When you close this pop-up, you will be able to see the Voucher codes listed in the Vouchers table, so they are accessible for future use.
Once you have created your course(s) in Curatr, you'll need to create a public facing webpage to advertise your courses to your audience. While this page is not created within Curatr, we have some best practices around what information to consider including on this page:
- A list of your courses
- A description of each course
- Guide for first time users
Before users can use the links to your courses, they must first be registered to your Curatr. On your site you should include a small guide on how first time customers can set themselves up, providing them a link to you organisation to register.
Once the customer has registered for the Curatr and they click on a course link, they use will then be taken to the payment page to complete the transaction when they log in.
Overall, the general end-user journey looks like this:
- End User views your promotional page(s).
- End User identifies a course that they wish to undertake.
- End User clicks on the course link that you have placed on the page.
- End User is taken to the course payment page in Curatr.
- End User completes the payments, is enrolled to the course and given a link to the course.