Curatr offers the ability to easily sell access to courses through an e-commerce module that can be configured within the Curatr admin console.
Creating a Payment Method
You have three options available to you for payment methods.
- Voucher payment only
- Payment Gateway (allowing people to pay using debit/credit cards) only.
- Both of the above.
E-Commerce > Payment Methods
If you are looking to add either a voucher payment or a payment gateway:
- Select the checkbox if you wish to enable payment using Vouchers
- Click Save to save the Voucher payment option.
- Click the checkbox to enable the payment method via Stripe (currently the only payment method available).
- Enter the API keys that will have been provided by Stripe/your Payment Gateway provider. (Stripe provides four keys, the keys to use on a live instance is your secret key which starts with sk_live_ and your public key which starts pk_live_. During setup and testing you can use the key starting with sk_test_ and pk_test_; don't forget to change this when you are ready to start taking payments.)
- Click Save
Adjusting Your E-Commerce Settings
Once you have enabled your your E-Commerce settings, it's now time to adjust them. In order to do this, you should:
- Enable VAT collection (if applicable) or the local equivalent tax for your region of the world.
- Enter a VAT api key (if applicable) or the local equivalent tax for your region of the world.
- Enable discounts (if you plan to offer them). You can always activate this at a later date if you wish.
- Enter the default currency.
- Click Save.
Creating a Product
In order to create a new product:
Admin Area > Your Course > Settings > E-Commerce > +ADD PRODUCT
- Select the Course that you wish to turn into a Product by using the dropdown menu to navigate to the course. Selecting the Populate with Course details link will pull in some additional info for you to save you re-typing/selecting it.
- Assign a price to your course. This is the cost that people will pay to gain access to your course.
- Enter any Product Reference that you wish to relate to this Product.
- Enter any Provider Reference that you wish to relate to this Product.
- Check the Live box to apply this Product immediately.
- Click Submit.
Once you have clicked Submit, your newly created Product will appear on the Products list.
Creating A Discount Code
Admin Area > E-Commerce > Discounts > +Discount Code
A discount code is a code that you create that when applied by a customer during the payment process will reduce the cost for them.
- Give the Discount a name i.e. Winter Saver 2015.
- Provide a description of the discount, i.e. when the discount is valid for.
- Enter the exact code that people will enter when paying for a course, i.e. "Winter15".
- Check the Live box to activate the codes as soon as the Discount code is created.
- Determine whether you wish to provide a Percentage Discount (50% off) or a Value Discount (£5 off). The screenshots below will differ slightly depending on which option you've selected
- Enter how many discounts you wish to offer (i.e. how many times can this code be used?).
- Enter the date the discount code starts being valid.
- Enter the expiration date of the discount code.
- By using the drop-down menu in the Products field you can select which Product(s) you want this Discount to work for. Once you have selected the product, click the + button next to the menu in order to apply the discount. If you wish apply the Discount to multiple Products, repeat Step 9 for each product.
- Click Submit.
Once you have clicked Submit, your newly created Discount will appear on the Discounts list.
Creating a Voucher
A voucher is a code that allows a customer of your organisation to purchase any Curatr product with a value less than or equal to the amount available in the voucher. A typical use case might be that a business wants to purchase one of your courses and offer it to all of their staff. They could purchase a number of Vouchers from you (for the value of the course) and then disseminate one of the Vouchers to each member of staff. At that point the member of staff could then 'purchase' the course, but instead of paying for the course using a debit/credit card, they would enter the voucher code.
In order to add a new voucher:
Admin Area > Your Course > E-Commerce > Vouchers > +Add New Vouchers
- Add a prefix for each voucher i.e. HT2.
- Enter the name of the organisation the voucher was created for.
- Enter the number of vouchers you wish to make available.
- Enter the value you would like to assign to the voucher (this is set once for all vouchers you are creating under this entry).
- Enter the value a user would pay for each voucher. This field can be especially useful if you are running any sort of promotion on how much a course will cost. For example, if you want to give a user £50 in credit but only make them pay £35 for it, enter the number '35' in this field.
- Click Submit
Note: As you are completing the Value / Cost fields, a calculation will appear at the bottom of the screen for you.
Once you have clicked Submit, a pop-up will appear containing the Voucher codes. This is a good time to copy and paste these codes into a text document, so you have them ready to forward onto users when needed.
When you close this pop-up, you will be able to see the Voucher codes listed in the Vouchers list, so they are accessible for future use.
Once you have created your course(s) in Curatr, you'll need to create a public facing webpage to advertise your courses to your audience. While this page is not created within Curatr, we have some best practices around what information to consider including on this page:
- A list of your courses
- A description of each course
Each course listed will require a link to allow people to register for the course and for you to take payment.
Note: The format for this link will be (with the red details being specific to your domain and course)
Once the user has registered for the course, they should be taken to the payment page to complete the transaction.
Overall, the general end-user journey looks like this:
- End User views your promotional page(s).
- End User identifies a course that they wish to undertake.
- End User clicks on the register/enrol button that you have placed on the page.
- End User is taken to Curatr where they enrol for the course.
- End User is taken to the payment page in Curatr where they pay for the course.