Curatr offers the ability to sell courses and track sales directly through the platform. In this article, you'll learn more about how to set up E-Commerce as well as how to configure settings according to your business needs.
Enabling E-Commerce on Curatr
If you would like to set-up the ability to sell access to courses within Curatr, you'll need to enable the E-Commerce service.
Some quick steps on how to do this can be found below:
Admin Area > Settings > Services
- Click on E-Commerce.
- Place a check in the Enabled box.
- Enable VAT collection (if applicable) or the local equivalent tax for your region of the world.
- Enter a VAT api key (if applicable) or the local equivalent tax for your region of the world.
- Enable discounts (if you plan to offer them). You can always activate this at a later date if you wish.
- Enter the Default Currency.
- Click Save.
You have now enabled E-Commerce within your Curatr site. Moving forward, you will now see an E-Commerce option at the bottom of the left-hand Organisation Settings menu.
Creating a Payment Method
You have three options available to you for payment methods.
- Voucher payment only
- Payment Gateway (allowing people to pay using debit/credit cards) only.
- Both of the above.
Admin Area > E-Commerce > Payment Methods
If you are looking to add either a voucher payment or a payment gateway:
- Select the checkbox if you wish to enable payment using Vouchers
- Click Save to save the Voucher payment option.
- Click the checkbox to enable the payment method via Stripe (currently the only payment method available).
- Enter the API keys that will have been provided by Stripe/your Payment Gateway provider. (Stripe provides four keys, the keys to use on a live instance is your secret key which starts with sk_live_ and your public key which starts pk_live_. During setup and testing you can use the key starting with sk_test_ and pk_test_; don't forget to change this when you are ready to start taking payments.)
- Click Save
Creating a Product
Courses are not sold directly but as a products. The product does not have to use the same name, image or description as the course. These details will be shown to unenrolled users if the course is set to public.
In order to create a new product:
Admin Area > Your Course > Settings > E-Commerce
- Click +ADD PRODUCT.
- Select the Course that you wish to turn into a Product by using the dropdown menu to navigate to the course. Selecting the Populate with Course details link will pull in some additional info for you to save you re-typing/selecting it.
- Assign a price to your course. This is the cost that people will pay to gain access to your course.
- Enter any Product Reference that you wish to relate to this Product.
- Enter any Provider Reference that you wish to relate to this Product.
- Check the Live box to apply this Product immediately.
- Click Submit.
Once you have clicked Submit, your newly created Product will appear on the Products list.
Creating A Discount Code
Curatr lets you create discount codes, that can be applied by a customer during the payment process to reduce the cost of a product. Discount codes can have an expiry date and quantity to limit their use.
Admin Area > E-Commerce > Discounts
- Click +ADD DISCOUNT CODE.
- Give the Discount a name i.e. Winter Saver 2015.
- Provide a description of the discount, i.e. when the discount is valid for.
- Enter the exact code that people will enter when paying for a course, i.e. "Winter15".
- Check the Live box to activate the codes as soon as the Discount code is created.
- Determine whether you wish to provide a Percentage Discount (50% off) or a Value Discount (£5 off).
- Enter how many discounts you wish to offer (i.e. how many times can this code be used?).
- Enter the date the discount code starts being valid.
- Enter the expiration date of the discount code.
- By using the drop-down menu in the Products field you can select which Product(s) you want this Discount to work for. Once you have selected the product, click the + button next to the menu in order to apply the discount. If you wish apply the Discount to multiple Products, repeat Step 9 for each product.
- Click Submit.
Once you have clicked Submit, your newly created Discount will appear on the Discounts list.
Creating a Voucher
A Voucher is a code that allows a customer of your organisation to purchase any Curatr product with a value less than or equal to the amount available in the voucher.
A typical use case might be that a business wants to purchase one of your courses and offer it to all of their staff. They could purchase a number of Vouchers from you (for the value of the course) and then disseminate one of the Vouchers to each member of staff. At that point the member of staff could then 'purchase' the course, but instead of paying for the course using a debit/credit card, they would enter the voucher code.
In order to add a new voucher:
Admin Area > Your Course > E-Commerce > Vouchers
- Click +ADD NEW VOUCHERS.
- Add a prefix for each voucher i.e. HT2.
- Enter the name of the organisation the voucher was created for.
- Enter the number of vouchers you wish to make available.
- Enter the value you would like to assign to the voucher (this is set once for all vouchers you are creating under this entry).
- Enter the value a user would pay for each voucher. This field can be especially useful if you are running any sort of promotion on how much a course will cost. For example, if you want to give a user £50 in credit but only make them pay £35 for it, enter the number '35' in this field.
- Click Submit
Note: As you are completing the Value / Cost fields, a calculation will appear at the bottom of the screen for you.
Once you have clicked Submit, a pop-up will appear containing the Voucher codes. This is a good time to copy and paste these codes into a text document, so you have them ready to forward onto users when needed.
When you close this pop-up, you will be able to see the Voucher codes listed in the Vouchers list, so they are accessible for future use.
Once you have created your course(s) in Curatr, you'll need to create a public facing webpage to advertise your courses to your audience. While this page is not created within Curatr, we have some best practices around what information to consider including on this page:
- A list of your courses
- A description of each course
- Guide for first time users
Before users can use the links to your courses, they must first be registered to your Curatr. On your site you should include a small guide on how first time customers can set themselves up, providing them a link to you organisation to register.
Once the customer has registered for the Curatr and they click on a course link, they use will then be taken to the payment page to complete the transaction when they log in.
Overall, the general end-user journey looks like this:
- End User views your promotional page(s).
- End User identifies a course that they wish to undertake.
- End User clicks on the course link that you have placed on the page.
- End User is taken to the course payment page in Curatr.
- End User completes the payments, is enrolled to the course and given a link to the course.