Shareable Dashboards are just like ordinary Dashboards, with a slight difference in that they can be viewed outside of Learning Locker, and without the need to enter any login credentials.
This enables you to embed your Dashboards on other sites, or just conveniently share a link to them, without necessarily having to give out direct access to your Learning Locker.
To share a Dashboard:
Data > Dashboards
- Open the Dashboard that you want to share, and click on the share button near the top-right of the page.
- Click the New shareable link button to add a new shareable link. Expand the new entry.
- The share panel will then open. You will see the Shareable link, which is what you'll use when sharing or embedding the Dashboard.
- Next, choose how you want the Dashboard to allow viewing, the table below outlines what each of the options mean:
Note: The URL of the Shareable Link changes depending on the Title you set.
|Nowhere (default)||This dashboard is not currently shared - the shareable link will not display this dashboard when accessed directly.|
|Anywhere||This dashboard is currently shared - the shareable link will display this dashboard when accessed directly. If embedded, the dashboard will be displayed regardless of the site.|
|Only where I choose||This dashboard is selectively shared - the shareable link will not display this dashboard when accessed directly. If embedded, the dashboard will only be displayed if the site in which it is embedded has been set as a valid domain.|
Setting Valid Domains
If you select the Only where I choose scope, a new input box will appear, in which you can enter the domains where you want this Dashboard to be viewable from.
For example, if you wanted to allow your Dashboard to be embedded in example.com, and ht2labs.com, this is what you would enter in the box:
Note: The * character is used to allow both http and https variants of each domain, and the | character is used as a separator between the two different domains. If you're only inputting one domain here, then there is no need to include it.
Setting a Filter
Next to the Scope settings of the Shareable Dashboard panel, you will see a Query Builder.
You can optionally add a filter here to limit the data that the shareable dashboard will display to viewers.
This makes it a lot easier to share already made Dashboards without needing to necessarily make an entirely separate one without any sensitive information. Although of course in some circumstances creating a separate Dashboard with its own isolated Visualisations is still the best option.
This feature is not currently available but will be soon. You can read the below information to prepare for the changes.
You may find that you wish to provide many versions of the same dashboard with different filters applied. For example, creating a class dashboard and giving each member of the class a link that is filtered to only their personal results. Instead of creating a different shareable link for every filter, you can enable the URL Filter setting to allow the link itself to include a query filter.
|Disabled (default)||The shareable link will not accept a filter.|
|Plaintext||This shareable link will allow any plain text filter to be added by anyone.|
|JWT Secured||This shareable link will only accept a JWT secured filter. If accessed without a valid JWT filter it will not display any information.|
You can design a filter by using the Query Builder. Once finished press the toggle edit mode button to view the filter. Copy this and remove any white space/formatting if using Plain Text, after this it can be added to the end of a shareable link. For example:
Note: If your filter includes the & character then you will also need to URL Encode before using it as a filter.
Warning: Bear in mind a plain text filter could be modified by a user to show any information from the shareable dashboard.
To prevent modification of the link filter, the JWT Secured option can be selected. This will only accept JWT filters that have been signed with a given secret.
To create JWT Secured links:
- Select JWT Secured. You will see a new input box titled JWT Secret (HS256).
- Fill this with a random string sequence similar to a strong password. Avoid simple dictionary words.
- Navigate to the JSON Web Tokens site:
- Paste your filter in the Payload section on the middle-right of the website, replacing the default data. URL encoding or white space removal is not necessary.
- Enter the JWT Secret from Step 2 in the area titled Verify Signature, replacing the text your-256-bit-secret.
- The panel on the left titled Encoded will automatically be filled. Copy this and it can be added to your shareable link, after ?filter=
Tip: Using the URL filter required setting you can prevent the dashboard from displaying any data at all unless a signed JWT token is present in the URL.