Data > Visualise
Setting up a Counter Visualisation
Counters are a great way to view simple numerical data.
- Create a new Visualisation by clicking the Add new at the top-right.
- Choose the Counter option, and then click the orange check mark
Note: In this article, the example used will be creating a Counter to view the total number of comments on a certain Curatr course.
Configuring your Counter Axes
- Make sure that the Axes tab is selected.
- In the Count section, you can choose which data you want to be counted – following the example, you would set Total unique number of.. and Statements here, and then develop the query further from the Filter tab.
Configuring your Counter Filter
- Make sure that the Filter tab is selected.
- You can use the Description field to give the Visualisation a short description. This will also help you to identify it whenever you add it to a Widget.
- Here, you can also use the Query Builder to fine-tune exactly which data the counter is picking up.
- Continuing with the above example, you would open the + Did section, and choose Commented On from the drop-down. Then, to limit the counter to comments only from a certain course, l the + Where, + contextActivities, and + grouping sections – then choose the course ID that you want.
- You may now want to adjust the time frame from the drop-down at the top-right, to make sure the visualisation shows data in the exact time range that you want it to.
Note: If you need help with using the Query Builder, please see the Query Builder Overview and the other articles in that section.
Your Visualisation should now look something like this:
Benchmarking can compare your counter to the value for the previous time period. Increase or decrease is indicated by the coloured arrow. A benchmark can only be calculated if there are statements within both time periods.
Benchmarking can only be enabled on a visualisation from Data > Visualisations:
- Select the Options tab.
- Toggle the button for Enable Benchmarking.